I rolled
down my window as Jeff pulled out of the driveway, towards our evening alone time. I
looked at those five beautiful faces riding on bicycles (one of which just
learned a few minutes ago) and said, “Goodnight. I love you. Afekirhalehu. (I love you in their native tongue.)” They
all smiled and waved. One quietly looked towards my window and said,
“Thank you for loving me.”
These are
the moments I wish I could permanently capture and engrave into my mind. The
beautiful moments of peace sitting next to a sleeping child. The hilarious
broken-English stories. The hugs. The smiles. The adventures and the miles...
many many miles.
And yet, why is it instead of
cherishing these moments, I continually catch myself looking ahead to what is
next? What is it about our culture, that our hearts are not easily satisfied
with the here-and-now? We ignore the blessing
God is currently handing us. May I dare to say that it could be because my thoughts
are normally directed towards myself?
No, I don’t
dare to say... I will most certainly say it. I think about myself too much. In
this fallen world, it is only natural to think that it revolves around me. I
am saddened by this truth. But I am also encouraged by this one... He created the world. He created me. Not to love myself. To love Him... and then to love others. It is not about me... if it was, I would be doomed. It's about Him and His rescue in my life. I have been made free, no longer enslaved to myself and my sin. And now I have been given a beautiful and honorable role. A role quite like our moon...
"What does the moon do? She generates no light. Contrary to the lyrics of the song, this harvest moon cannot shine on. Apart from the sun, the moon is nothing more than a pitch black, pockmarked rock. But properly positioned, the moon beams. Let her do what she was made to do, and a clod of dirt becomes a source of inspiration, yea, verily, romance." - Max Lucado, It's Not About Me
As I step
into the next year of life, and the next 4 months, traveling, working, and
loving these children... may I learn to be a more beautiful moon, a better reflection. May my heart learn the beauty of satisfaction... the
beauty of each moment, each memory. May they become written {deeper still} into
my thoughts and heart. May I take my eyes off of myself and place them on something far more breathtaking.
take hold
of that which is
{truly life}
1 Timothy 6:18
No comments:
Post a Comment