Posted by Jeff Dillon
I'll always remember it. My English 101 Professor at Point Loma Nazarene University had assigned our class to study and write on a topic - any topic - that we felt passionate about.
My choice was poverty and the AIDS crisis in Africa. I can't really claim that this was an altruistic decision. Actually, I think I had come to learn and "care" about what was happening in Africa because Bono talked about it a lot. And, you know, Bono is pretty cool.
So anyways, there I was in the PLNU library one afternoon, studying Africa, when I came across some facts that hit me like a hard punch to the gut. Facts like...
- 1 in 6 African children die before the age of five
- 43% of children in Sub-Saharan Africa live without safe, drinkable water
- Close to 2 million African children under age 14 are HIV positive
- 200,000 African children are sold into slavery (mostly sex slavery) every year.*
My reaction today is the same as it was then: How could this be possible? How could that many children in the world today live in such hopeless poverty and danger? How come no one is doing anything about it?
And the most startling (and scary) question that God posed to me that day in the library was this: What are YOU going to do about it?
To be honest, I've often struggled with this question. Not because I don't want to help, but because it seems like I can do so little in the face of such large, incomprehensible problems in our world today. Admittedly, sometimes it's easier to just ignore the problem altogether.
A song I've been listening to lately is called "The One" by Brandon Heath. The song reminds me that each one of us really can do something significant:
In no way do I expect that the upcoming trip Becca and I are going on with Visiting Orphans will save the world, slow the AIDS rate or make even a tiny dent in the challenges facing the communities we visit.
But I do know this: God calls me to serve those in need through my actions (1 John 3:17-18). And I am confident that God can and will use even me to make an impact in this world.
If you feel like there are too many problems in the world today that are too big for you to do anything about, I'd encourage you to join Becca and I in asking yourself that one, dangerous question:
What if you're the one?
If you are interested in supporting our trip to Kenya and Uganda, you can give online by clicking here. For more information on our trip, click here. Thank you for your support!
*Statistics from Stand Up For Africa. http://www.standupforafrica.org.uk/work/facts.php
I'll always remember it. My English 101 Professor at Point Loma Nazarene University had assigned our class to study and write on a topic - any topic - that we felt passionate about.
My choice was poverty and the AIDS crisis in Africa. I can't really claim that this was an altruistic decision. Actually, I think I had come to learn and "care" about what was happening in Africa because Bono talked about it a lot. And, you know, Bono is pretty cool.
So anyways, there I was in the PLNU library one afternoon, studying Africa, when I came across some facts that hit me like a hard punch to the gut. Facts like...
- 1 in 6 African children die before the age of five
- 43% of children in Sub-Saharan Africa live without safe, drinkable water
- Close to 2 million African children under age 14 are HIV positive
- 200,000 African children are sold into slavery (mostly sex slavery) every year.*
My reaction today is the same as it was then: How could this be possible? How could that many children in the world today live in such hopeless poverty and danger? How come no one is doing anything about it?
![]() |
| Photo cred: Pinterest |
To be honest, I've often struggled with this question. Not because I don't want to help, but because it seems like I can do so little in the face of such large, incomprehensible problems in our world today. Admittedly, sometimes it's easier to just ignore the problem altogether.
A song I've been listening to lately is called "The One" by Brandon Heath. The song reminds me that each one of us really can do something significant:
"And if I see one more child walking
Just one more mile for water
If I wait one minute longer
It's one too many
...And if we're living history
How will they think of you and me?
If it takes just one, just one
What if, what if I'm the one?"
In no way do I expect that the upcoming trip Becca and I are going on with Visiting Orphans will save the world, slow the AIDS rate or make even a tiny dent in the challenges facing the communities we visit.
But I do know this: God calls me to serve those in need through my actions (1 John 3:17-18). And I am confident that God can and will use even me to make an impact in this world.
If you feel like there are too many problems in the world today that are too big for you to do anything about, I'd encourage you to join Becca and I in asking yourself that one, dangerous question:
What if you're the one?
If you are interested in supporting our trip to Kenya and Uganda, you can give online by clicking here. For more information on our trip, click here. Thank you for your support!
*Statistics from Stand Up For Africa. http://www.standupforafrica.org.uk/work/facts.php

No comments:
Post a Comment